The Safety 1st onBoard 35 Air is one of the top budget friendly infant car seats. The OnBoard 35, made by Dorel, is a favorite amongst many mothers. This child safety seat comes with a customizable infant insert and low bottom harness strap slots which were specifically designed to fit preemies starting at 4 lbs.
Even though Safety 1st OnBoard 35 Air is an older model, this reliable infant car seat has excellent safety features. It offers both energy-absorbing foam and side impact protection to protect your baby in the event of a car crash.
Unfortunately, some parents might find this car seat high maintenance since the cushions are not machine-washable. Depending on often your car seat gets dirty, you might have to spend some time hand-washing it.
Safety First OnBoard 35 Air Crash Test
Like all baby car seats on the market, the Safety 1st OnBoard meets Federal Safety Standards. Safety 1st claims that the OnBoard 35 Air has been crash tested for the “Air Protect” side impact technology, which comprises of an air cushion system in the head area of the seat. They claim that the additional cushion inside the plastic covering permits air to escape gradually upon impact and absorbs some of the energy in a crash, providing additional protection for your baby’s head.
Safety 1st OnBoard Compatible Strollers
Compatible strollers for the OnBoard 35 Air include the AeroLite, Clic It, Quinny Buzz Xtra and the SleekRide. The Safety 1st OnBoard 35 Air is not compatible with as many strollers as some of the other popular car seats.
Safety 1st OnBoard Compatible Base
The OnBoard 35 Air infant car seat is compatible with Safety 1st OnBoard Adjustable Base so you can purchase a second car seat base to install in another vehicle.
You can also install this seat without the base. This way, you can keep the base in your car and if your baby ever needs to ride in someone else’s car, you can install the car seat without the base. There are steps on how to install the seat without the base safely in the Safety 1st instruction manual.
Safety 1st OnBoard 35 Specs & Features
- The maximum weight and height is up to 4-35 lbs and 32 inches tall. The top of your baby’s head should be at least 1 inch below the top of the headrest.
- 5-point harness system with up front harness adjustment
- 17% more legroom than most infant car seats
- Customizable insert and low harness slots specially designed for tiny travelers (4 pounds+)
- 1-Click LATCH on the base for quick installation
- Belt Lock on the base easily secures your car seat belt during installation
- Energy-absorbing EPS foam
- Air Protect Revolutionary Side Impact Protection (SIP)
- Advanced air cushion system
- Two position adjustable base
- Three position crotch strap
- 2-stage level indicator
- Adjustable base designed for extra deep seats
- Carry Curve handle features ergonomic design and has a soft-touch grip for extra comfort when carrying
- Multi-position canopy to protect sensitive eyes from bright light
- Removable, hand washable pad (not machine washable!)
- Quick Click stroller attachment for easy placement
- FAA approved for air travel
- Expiration: 8 years (seats made before 1-1-2014 have a 6 year expiration)
Safety 1st OnBoard 35 Air Measurements
Dimensions: Length: 29″, Width: 17″, Height: 24.5″
Weight without base: 9.5 lbs
Weight with base: 16lbs
Base width (inches): 15 inches
Carrier width (inches): 17 inches
If you read and follow the Safety 1st instruction manual, you may find that the OnBoard 35 Air car seat is easy to install regardless of whether you are using the LATCH anchors or the seatbelt. Keep in mind that you can only use one method of attachment. Do not install the car seat base with both LATCH and seat belt.
You can purchase the Safety 1st OnBoard 35 Air for $139 on Amazon. This is cheaper than about many of their competitors yet has managed to impress us with its quality. This car seat ranks as one of the best value car seats, considering all the features they offer at a below average price. It comes with a manufacturer’s one-year warranty.
Safey 1st also makes other infant car seats, such as the Safety 1st OnBoard 35 which does not have side impact “air” protection and costs about $40 less. There is also the OnBoard 35 Air+ with Air Protect advanced cushion system and GCell HX patented foam, costing about $30 more.