Baby mattresses are more than just a sleep surface. It is important to buy the safest crib mattresses because your baby will be spending more than 50% of his or her time sleeping there in their first few years.
Best Crib Mattresses
Below is a list of the best crib mattress 2020 along with the crib mattress reviews.
Remember that infants need to sleep on a firm mattress for safety. They need a firm, flat and even sleeping surface to ensure breathability in the crib.
Firm mattresses help maximize their development and strengthen their muscles as they provide the necessary resistance. Babies also need a firm surface to push up, turn, and eventually stand up on.
Toddlers will feel more comfortable with support and cushioning. With that in mind, many parents purchase a dual sided crib mattress so that they can use it in both a crib and toddler bed.
- The Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer Dual Sleep Surface Crib Mattress is one of the top rated crib mattresses and is great for both infants and toddlers.
- This dual surface mattress means you can use the extra firm foam layer for your infant or the soft plush side for your toddler.
- It is made in the USA
- Its dimensions are 27.5″ x 52″ x 5″ and weighs about 10.5 pounds.
- This Moonlight Slumber mattress is CertiPUR-US certified to be free of toxic flame-retardant chemicals, PVC, vinyl, polyethylene, phthalates, and lead.
- The fabric used is high quality, medical grade, eco-friendly and waterproof.
- It has extra tight sewn seams and is bed bug and dust mite resistant.
- Its hypoallergenic material makes cleaning this baby mattress easy. Simply use a damp sponge or cloth to wipe away any dirty spots.
- The Little Dreamer dual sided mattress has been tested rigorously for its safety and durability.
- This is not a cheap crib mattress, but you really do get the premium quality and safety you pay for!
- The Colgate Eco Classica III mattress is one of the best crib mattress for baby.
- This orthopedic baby mattress is 6 inches thick and very lightweight, weighing only 9.6 pounds.
- This dual firmness design allows your infant to sleep on the firmer side and as he transitions to a toddler, you can easily flip the mattress to the softer side.
- The crib mattress cover is 100% certified organic cotton with a waterproof backing so that nothing gets into the mattress.
- The inner part of the Colgate crib mattress made of foam that is CertiPUR-US certified to be safe and high quality.
- The foam is also eco-friendly since they are made with plant oils instead of petroleum based oils.
- This Colgate mattress is GREENGUARD certified to have no harmful air emissions.
- It passes all federal and state requirements for flammability and chemical composition.
- The Colgate Eco Classica III dimensions are 27 1/4 inch x 51 5/8 inch, which is the standard baby crib mattress size. It fits all standard size American cribs and toddler beds.
- All Colgate crib mattresses come with a lifetime warranty.
- Although it’s not a budget mattress, it’s worth that extra price and a great addition to your baby nursery.
- This Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Infant/Toddler Crib Mattress uses natural and renewable soybeans to help create a firm foam for both infants and toddlers.
- It is made in the USA.
- It is not a double sided mattress like some of the other top baby mattresses but it still offers a firm and comfortable sleeping surface.
- Its lightweight yet durable soybean foam-core gives the right amount of firmness and comfort for infants and toddlers.
- The Sealy crib mattress dimensions are 51.6 x 27.2 x 5 inches and its square corner design is great for a snug fit in standard cribs.
- The recommended age and weight limits are from birth to approximately 5 years old and up to 60 pounds.
- It is also GREENGUARD Gold certified for indoor air quality.
- All the foam used is CertiPur-US Certified foam and is free of phthalates, mercury, PBDES, lead, formaldehyde, TDCPP or TCEP flame retardants, which may be a concern in non-certified foams.
- The Sealy crib mattress has been tested for chemicals to provide a healthier sleeping environment for your baby.
- Its waterproof and stain-resistant cover has lock-stitched binding, which helps to prevent liquids from seeping inside.
- Household allergens such as dust will wipe away instead of clinging to the mattress surface.
- You can easily clean this infant and toddler mattress by wiping clean with soap and water or a baby wipe.
- This Sealy baby mattress has been crib fit tested and passes ASTM standards (American Society for Testing and Materials Crib Mattress Standard), making it one of the safest crib mattress.
- Sealy is one of the top mattress brands and was voted America’s Most Recommended brand for crib mattresses and pads.
- This Sealy baby crib mattress is not only one of the best-selling mattresses but it is also one of the most affordable mattresses.
- Sealy also makes baby crib mattress pads if you want to protect your mattress.
- The Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams White Crib Mattress is one of the cheapest baby mattresses, often priced around $50.
- This hypoallergenic mattress is lightweight and durable so you can use it for years as your child grows.
- The Safety First mattress cover is vinyl and water resistant.
- What we love about this mattress is that its waterproof cover zips off, in case you ever want to wash it or change it.
- It is GREENGUARD Gold certified and meets standards for low chemical emissions.
- Although the infant mattress is free of phthalates and lead, it uses the typical polyurethane foam that some parents may want to avoid.
- The Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams Crib Mattress dimensions are 52.5 x 27.5 x 5.5 inches so it fits standard cribs and toddler beds.
- Overall, this Heavenly Dreams mattress is one of the best budget crib mattress and is a great value for the money.
- This Serta Tranquility eco firm crib mattress is one of the best baby mattress and is built with 120 heavy-duty innerspring coils.
- It is a dual sided mattress, where one side provides the right amount of firmness for infants and the other side offers a layer of natural cotton for toddlers.
- The Serta Tranquility crib mattress dimensions are 52″ x 27.5″ x 6″, which is the standard crib mattress size.
- This Serta Tranquility crib mattress has a waterproof vinyl cover which is moisture and stain resistant.
- It has air vents to keep it fresh.
- All Serta crib mattresses are GREENGUARD Gold Certified with low chemical emissions, contributing to better indoor air quality.
- The foam used is CertiPUR-US certified and is without PBDE flame retardants, lead, mercury and other heavy metals.
- This infant and toddler mattress meets or exceeds phthalate, lead, flammability and CPSIA testing.
- It does not contain toxic fire retardants.
- For a cheaper alternative, you can consider the Serta Perfect Nature Mattress.
- This Naturepedic Ultra Breathable 2-Stage Organic Baby & Toddler Mattress is an organic waterproof crib mattress with a removable, breathable cover.
- It is a 2-stage dual firmness mattress with strong edge support and seamless waterproof edges.
- This organic crib mattress is constructed in a way that allows air to pass through the sleep surface.
- Even though you should put your baby to sleep on his or her back, in case he or she turns face-down, this breathable surface adds an additional layer of safety.
- The Naturepedic breathable baby mattress is one of the healthiest and safest baby crib mattresses on the market.
- This breathable crib mattress cover features a certified luxurious organic fabric quilted to a unique 3D spacer material and is designed to maximize airflow around the baby.
- Its cover is washable and easy to clean. It protects the mattress from urine accidents, spills, and allergens.
- You can use this Naturepedic baby mattress with or without its breathable cover. This way, even if you wash the baby mattress cover, your baby will still have a mattress to sleep on.
- This Naturepedic organic baby mattress has layers of organic cotton filling that surround the mattress core, giving it a firm yet comfortable support.
- It dissipates heat and moisture to reduce overheating so your baby can sleep more comfortably.
- Naturepedic is a GOTS certified organic mattress manufacturer and is GREENGUARD Gold certified for eliminating chemical emissions.
Baby Mattress Safety
Remember, babies need to sleep on a firm mattress for safety. They need a firm, flat and even sleeping surface so that they can breathe easily in the crib. You can read more about baby crib safety.
All baby crib mattresses must be 27.25” x 51.625” and no more than 6” thick. It makes sense to buy a baby crib first so that when you purchase the mattress, you can ensure a proper fit. If you can place more than 2 fingers between the mattress and the railing of the crib, then it is not a proper fit.
You may also want to look into buying the best baby monitor if you want to be able to monitor your baby while he sleeps from a different room.