Baby mattresses are more than just a sleep surface. It is important to buy the safest crib mattresses because your baby will be spending more than 50% of his or her time sleeping there in their first few years.
Best Crib Mattresses
Below is a list of the best crib mattress 2020 along with the crib mattress reviews.
There are different types of crib mattresses, such as innerspring, foam, and double-sided. Regardless of which you choose, you should get a good quality one.
Remember that infants need to sleep on a firm mattress for safety. They need a firm, flat and even sleeping surface to ensure breathability in the crib.
Firm mattresses help maximize their development and strengthen their muscles as they provide the necessary resistance. Babies also need a firm surface to push up, turn, and eventually stand up on.
Toddlers will feel more comfortable with support and cushioning. With that in mind, many parents purchase a dual sided crib mattress so that they can use it in both a crib and toddler bed.
- The Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer Dual Sleep Surface Crib Mattress is one of the best baby crib mattress and is great for both infants and toddlers.
- This dual surface mattress means you can use the extra firm foam layer for your infant or the soft plush side for your toddler.
- It is made in the USA
- Its dimensions are 27.5″ x 52″ x 5″ and weighs about 10.5 pounds.
- This Moonlight Slumber mattress is CertiPUR-US certified to be free of toxic flame-retardant chemicals, PVC, vinyl, polyethylene, phthalates, and lead.
- The fabric used is high quality, medical grade, eco-friendly and waterproof.
- It has extra tight sewn seams and is bed bug and dust mite resistant.
- Its hypoallergenic material makes cleaning this baby mattress easy. Simply use a damp sponge or cloth to wipe away any dirty spots.
- The Little Dreamer dual sided mattress has been tested rigorously for its safety and durability.
- Ranked one of the top rated crib mattresses.
- This is not a cheap crib mattress, but you really do get the premium quality and safety you pay for!
- The Colgate Eco Classica III mattress is one of the best crib mattress for baby.
- This orthopedic baby mattress is 6 inches thick and very lightweight, weighing only 9.6 pounds.
- This dual firmness design allows your infant to sleep on the firmer side and as he transitions to a toddler, you can easily flip the mattress to the softer side.
- The crib mattress cover is 100% certified organic cotton with a waterproof backing so that nothing gets into the mattress.
- The inner part of the Colgate crib mattress made of foam that is CertiPUR-US certified to be safe and high quality.
- The foam is also eco-friendly since they are made with plant oils instead of petroleum based oils.
- This Colgate mattress is GREENGUARD certified to have no harmful air emissions.
- It passes all federal and state requirements for flammability and chemical composition.
- The Colgate Eco Classica III dimensions are 27 1/4 inch x 51 5/8 inch, which is the standard baby crib mattress size. It fits all standard size American cribs and toddler beds.
- All Colgate crib mattresses come with a lifetime warranty.
- Ranked as one of the top rated baby crib mattress.
- Although it’s not a budget mattress, it’s worth that extra price and a great addition to your baby nursery.
- This Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Infant/Toddler Crib Mattress uses natural and renewable soybeans to help create a firm foam for both infants and toddlers.
- It is made in the USA.
- It is not a double sided mattress like some of the other top baby mattresses but it still offers a firm and comfortable sleeping surface.
- Its lightweight yet durable soybean foam-core gives the right amount of firmness and comfort for infants and toddlers.
- The Sealy crib mattress dimensions are 51.6 x 27.2 x 5 inches and its square corner design is great for a snug fit in standard cribs.
- The recommended age and weight limits are from birth to approximately 5 years old and up to 60 pounds.
- It is also GREENGUARD Gold certified for indoor air quality.
- All the foam used is CertiPur-US Certified foam and is free of phthalates, mercury, PBDES, lead, formaldehyde, TDCPP or TCEP flame retardants, which may be a concern in non-certified foams.
- The Sealy crib mattress has been tested for chemicals to provide a healthier sleeping environment for your baby.
- Its waterproof and stain-resistant cover has lock-stitched binding, which helps to prevent liquids from seeping inside.
- Household allergens such as dust will wipe away instead of clinging to the mattress surface.
- You can easily clean this infant and toddler mattress by wiping clean with soap and water or a baby wipe.
- This Sealy baby mattress has been crib fit tested and passes ASTM standards (American Society for Testing and Materials Crib Mattress Standard), making it one of the safest crib mattress.
- Sealy is one of the top mattress brands and was voted America’s Most Recommended brand for crib mattresses and pads.
- This Sealy baby crib mattress is not only one of the best-selling baby mattresses but it is also one of the best affordable crib mattresses.
- Sealy also makes baby crib mattress pads, which are highly recommended if you want to protect your mattress.
- The Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams White Crib Mattress is one of the cheapest baby mattresses, often priced around $50.
- This hypoallergenic mattress is lightweight and durable so you can use it for years as your child grows.
- The Safety First mattress cover is vinyl and water resistant.
- What we love about this mattress is that its waterproof cover zips off, in case you ever want to wash it or change it.
- It is GREENGUARD Gold certified and meets standards for low chemical emissions.
- Although the infant mattress is free of phthalates and lead, it uses the typical polyurethane foam that some parents may want to avoid.
- The Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams Crib Mattress dimensions are 52.5 x 27.5 x 5.5 inches so it fits standard cribs and toddler beds.
- This Safety 1st is ranked one of the best crib mattresses for infants.
- Overall, this Heavenly Dreams mattress is one of the best budget crib mattress and is a great value for the money.
- This Serta Tranquility eco firm crib mattress is one of the best baby mattress and is built with 120 heavy-duty innerspring coils.
- It is a dual sided mattress, where one side provides the right amount of firmness for infants and the other side offers a layer of natural cotton for toddlers.
- The Serta Tranquility crib mattress dimensions are 52″ x 27.5″ x 6″, which is the standard crib mattress size.
- has a waterproof vinyl cover which is moisture and stain resistant.
- This Serta Tranquility eco firm innerspring crib and toddler mattress has air vents to keep it fresh.
- All Serta crib mattresses are GREENGUARD Gold Certified with low chemical emissions, contributing to better indoor air quality.
- The foam used is CertiPUR-US certified and is without PBDE flame retardants, lead, mercury and other heavy metals.
- This infant and toddler mattress meets or exceeds phthalate, lead, flammability and CPSIA testing.
- It does not contain toxic fire retardants.
- Not only is this Serta mattress great for newborns, but it is one of the best crib mattress for toddler.
- For a cheaper alternative, you can consider the Serta Perfect Nature Mattress.
- This Naturepedic Ultra Breathable 2-Stage Organic Baby & Toddler Mattress is one of the best infant mattress and best toddler mattress.
- This organic waterproof crib mattress comes with a removable, breathable cover.
- It is a 2-stage dual firmness mattress with strong edge support and seamless waterproof edges.
- This organic crib mattress is constructed in a way that allows air to pass through the sleep surface.
- Even though you should put your baby to sleep on his or her back, in case he or she turns face-down, this breathable surface adds an additional layer of safety.
- The Naturepedic breathable baby mattress is one of the healthiest and safest baby crib mattresses on the market.
- This breathable crib mattress cover features a certified luxurious organic fabric quilted to a unique 3D spacer material and is designed to maximize airflow around the baby.
- Its cover is washable and easy to clean. It protects the mattress from urine accidents, spills, and allergens.
- You can use this Naturepedic baby mattress with or without its breathable cover. This way, even if you wash the baby mattress cover, your baby will still have a mattress to sleep on.
- This Naturepedic organic baby mattress has layers of organic cotton filling that surround the mattress core, giving it a firm yet comfortable support.
- It dissipates heat and moisture to reduce overheating so your baby can sleep more comfortably.
- Naturepedic is a GOTS certified organic mattress manufacturer and is GREENGUARD Gold certified for eliminating chemical emissions.
- This Graco crib and toddler mattress in a box is one of the best crib mattress for newborns.
- This is literally a mattress in a box – This crib and toddler mattress ships compressed in a lightweight box.
- Fits standard full-size crib and toddler bed – This crib mattress is designed to fit any standard full-size crib and toddler bed.
- Its dimensions are 52 x 27.6 x 5 inches and weighs 7 pounds.
- The mattress cover is made up of 100% Polyester
- Has a water-resistant, removable, machine washable outer cover.
- Mattress core made of high-quality, breathable foam to maximize air flow
- This mattress is GREENGUARD Gold certified, free of prohibited phthalates, lead, and mercury
- Meets or exceeds all applicable ASTM International and CPSC safety standards
- Meets all applicable federal flammability standards
- Backed by a 6-year limited warranty
Baby Mattress Safety
Remember, babies need to sleep on a firm mattress for safety. They need a firm, flat and even sleeping surface so that they can breathe easily in the crib. You can read more about baby crib safety.
All baby crib mattresses must be 27.25” x 51.625” and no more than 6” thick. It makes sense to buy a baby crib first so that when you purchase the mattress, you can ensure a proper fit. If you can place more than 2 fingers between the mattress and the railing of the crib, then it is not a proper fit.
You may also want to look into buying the best baby monitor if you want to be able to monitor your baby while he sleeps from a different room.
Best Crib Mattress Protector
With a brand new crib mattress, you will probably want to protect it from liquids, allergens or whatever that may damage it.
Waterproof crib mattress pads are a great way to add an extra layer of protection. We like the American Baby Company waterproof mattress crib pad cover, which is very affordable and the SureGuard Crib Size Mattress Protector.
They do not cost much so it’s pretty much a no-brainer to get it. Protect your crib mattress so that your child can use it all through their toddler years.